Fine Points on Nationstar's Accounting
Discount on advances purchased is recognized under "interest income" in the proportion of advance collected:
- This component contributed $6.5 million to first-quarter 2013 earnings and $11.5 million to fourth-quarter 2012 earnings.
- The accurate number for second quarter 2013 will be disclosed in the 10Q, and we estimate it to be in the range of $20 million to $25 million.
- Nationstar increased its mortgage-servicing rights mark by $118 million.
- 50% of the benefit is passed onto excess spread holder.
- Unlike Ocwen, Nationstar does not have 100% ownership of mortgage-servicing rights.
- For first quarter 2013, it was $101 million -- the company does not provide any further details.
- The amount provisioned has been between $81 million and $83 million since second quarter 2012, though the servicing portfolio has more than doubled over the past year. This might be underprovided.
- Delinquent agency portfolios recently acquired should have increased this amount by $125 million to $150 million.
- The company recognizes a $7 million to $8 million loss on its legacy book every quarter despite improvements in credit and interest rate markets over the past two years.
- The legacy book might still be overvalued at $257 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV