NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Retailers will begin reporting July same-store sales figures, but should investors be worried? Stephanie Link and Lindsey Bell look at what investors should expect.
After American Eagle Outfitters (AEO) cut its profit outlook for the second quarter earlier this week, doubt has increased about whether retailers have what it takes going into the back-the-school season.
However, Link said the results should be mixed and that American Eagle was likely losing market share to Aeropostale (ARO), which has an improved marketing scheme and new product line.
She added that the retailers have been an extremely strong group in 2013, but that investors need to be stock-specific. For example, Coach (COH) reported poor earnings, while Michael Kors (KORS) reported great results.Consumers have demonstrated that they are very selective about where they shop. Improved labor data and higher wages should help to offset higher prices at the pump, meaning consumers will continue to spend. Although they aren't immune to a weakening market, Link said she continues to like Costco (COST) and The Gap (GPS) for the long term. Action Alerts PLUS , which Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link co-manage as a charitable trust, owned shares of COST and GPS. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV