With August 11 only a few days away, Pennsylvania American Water today reminded customers to call 8-1-1 prior to any digging project to have underground utility lines marked. The 8-1-1 phone number, used in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, helps consumers access a free service that will identify and mark invisible underground utilities, so that unnecessary outages in critical services can be avoided.
To help raise awareness of PA One Call, Pennsylvania American Water Production Supervisor George Cradic attaches "call before you dig" plate to company vehicle. (Photo: Pennsylvania American Water)
By calling 8-1-1 three days before digging, homeowners and contractors will be connected to PA One Call, which then notifies the appropriate utility companies of the intent to dig. Professional locators are then sent to the requested digging site to mark the approximate locations of underground lines with flags, spray paint or both.
“On August 11 and throughout the year, Pennsylvania American Water reminds customers and contractors to ‘dial before you dig’ and call 8-1-1 to eliminate the risk of striking an underground utility line,” said Steven Tambini, vice president of operations for Pennsylvania American Water.
Tambini said striking a single line can lead to injuries, repair costs, fines and inconvenient outages. Every digging project, no matter how large or small, warrants a call. Installing a mailbox, building a deck, planting a tree and laying a patio are examples of digging projects that should prompt an 8-1-1 call. Visit the PA One Call website at www.pa811.org for more information about safe digging practices.“It’s a free call and a free service for homeowners – a great price for safety,” said Tambini.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV