Visa Canada survey shows shoppers looking online for better prices and deals
- 79 per cent of shoppers will be going online to find back-to-school buys
- 90 per cent will be setting a budget
- 58 per cent claim they'll need 3 shopping sessions to find everything they need
TORONTO, Aug. 8, 2013 /CNW/ - As students across the country prepare to head back to the classroom, Canadians are subtracting from their back-to-school budgets, by seeking less expensive ways to stock up on classroom necessities. Consistent with the growing trend of Canadians embracing eCommerce, 79 per cent of shoppers surveyed will be looking to the web to find back-to-school buys and related deals.
Commissioned by Visa Canada, the annual back-to-school survey reveals that shoppers plan to spend an average of $325 in store and $163 online on items specifically related to back-to-school. This marks a decrease in intended spend from last year as shoppers focus on sticking to lower allocated back-to-school budgets.
Correspondingly, shoppers are turning to the web to make their dollars go further, citing cheaper prices (57 per cent) and better sales and promotions (42 per cent) as the main reasons for purchasing back-to-school items online. The number of respondents who said that basic supplies like pens, pencils and notebooks were their most important purchases increased (up 14 per cent from last year), while the number of shoppers who focused on clothing decreased (down 8 per cent).Additionally, 87 per cent of shoppers surveyed admitted to "showrooming", (the practice of looking at items in-store before buying them for less online), with 41 per cent admitting to doing this often. Men surveyed were more likely than women to be regular showroom browsers with this trend being most prevalent among those under 25.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV