TUCSON, Ariz., Aug. 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) was awarded a $218,530,196 contract by the Missile Defense Agency to complete the assembly and delivery of 29 Standard Missile-3 Block IB missiles. Launched off U.S. Navy ships, SM-3 interceptors protect the U.S. and its allies by destroying incoming short-, medium-, and intermediate-range ballistic missile threats by colliding with them in space.
"The three back-to-back successful SM-3 Block IB flight tests have demonstrated the missile's advanced capabilities and reliability against various threats in a variety of mission scenarios," said Dr. Taylor Lawrence, Raytheon Missile Systems president. "Combatant commanders around the world are eager to build up their inventories in support of Phase 2 of the Phased Adaptive Approach starting in 2015."
Final assembly will take place in Raytheon's new, state-of-the-art Redstone Missile Integration Facility in Huntsville, Ala. Guidance sections and guidance units will be built at the Raytheon Missile Systems Space Factory in Tucson, Ariz.
"The Redstone Missile Integration Facility will prove critical as we ramp up our manufacturing capacity on the path to SM-3 Block IB full-rate production," said Dr. Mitch Stevison, Raytheon Missile Systems' SM-3 program director.About the Standard Missile-3The SM-3 does not contain an explosive warhead, but instead destroys the threats using sheer impact, equivalent to a 10-ton truck traveling at 600 mph.
- More than 155 SM-3s have been delivered to U.S. and Japanese navies.
- Raytheon is on track to deploy the next-generation SM-3 Block IB guided missile in 2015.
- SM-3 Block IB will be deployed in both afloat and ashore weapons systems.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV