NEW YORK, Aug. 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Mortgage rates pulled back, with the benchmark 30-year fixed mortgage rate retreating to 4.56 percent, according to Bankrate.com's weekly national survey. The average 30-year fixed mortgage has an average of 0.31 discount and origination points.
To see mortgage rates in your area, go to http://www.bankrate.com/funnel/mortgages/.
The average 15-year fixed mortgage fell to 3.62 percent, while the larger jumbo 30-year fixed mortgage rate declined to 4.68 percent. Adjustable rate mortgages were mostly lower. The popular 5-year adjustable rate slid to 3.53 percent and the 10-year ARM inched lower to 4.11 percent.The disappointing July jobs report cast some doubt on whether the Federal Reserve would begin tapering their bond purchases in September. With encouraging and disappointing economic news offsetting each other on almost a daily basis, look for mortgage rates to remain range bound at least until there is greater clarity regarding both the economy and Fed policy. As recently as May 1 st, the average 30-year fixed mortgage rate was 3.52 percent. At that time, a $200,000 loan would have carried a monthly payment of $900.32. With the average rate currently at 4.56 percent, the monthly payment for the same size loan would be $1,020.51, a difference of $120 per month for anyone that waited too long. SURVEY RESULTS 30-year fixed: 4.56% -- down from 4.59% last week (avg. points: 0.31) 15-year fixed: 3.62% -- down from 3.65% last week (avg. points: 0.23) 5/1 ARM: 3.53% -- down from 3.57% last week (avg. points: 0.23) Bankrate's national weekly mortgage survey is conducted each Wednesday from data provided by the top 10 banks and thrifts in the top 10 markets.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV