NEW YORK and LONDON, Aug. 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Accelerating infrastructure investments, favorable demographics, and progress on economic reform could drive higher returns for Indian equities for years, according to a white paper from The Boston Company Asset Management, LLC, the Boston-based global equity investor for BNY Mellon.
The paper, Uncovering Opportunities in Indian Equities, notes current valuations appear to discount any type of economic or earnings recovery.
The factors that could drive Indian growth have been overshadowed by investors' concerns over negative issues such as the country's fragmented government, power outages, poor roads and deteriorating margins in many business sectors, according to the report."The noise surrounding India's current economic flaws could cause investors to miss the key advantages that the country possesses as well as its bright future prospects," said Andrea M. Clark, CFA, author of the report and portfolio strategist for The Boston Company. "Most importantly, India boasts a large working-age population that will drive expansion through personal consumption. Unlike China and many developed nations, India is not grappling with an aging population that will need substantial societal support." Additional potential drivers of economic expansion noted in the report include:
- Urbanization, which could significantly boost housing and transportation;
- Improving rural wages, helped by investments in infrastructure and mobile communications;
- Cooperation among various parties in India's coalition government to pass reforms needed to improve the economy; and
- Potential trade agreements to improve exports.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV