APOLLO GLOBAL MANAGEMENT, LLC NON-GAAP FINANCIAL INFORMATION AND DEFINITIONS (UNAUDITED)
Non-GAAP Financial Information
Apollo discloses the following financial measures that are calculated and presented on the basis of methodologies other than in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles in the United States of America (“Non-GAAP”):
- Economic Net Income, or ENI, as well as ENI After Taxes are key performance measures used by management in evaluating the performance of Apollo’s private equity, credit and real estate segments. Management also believes the components of ENI such as the amount of management fees, advisory and transaction fees and carried interest income are indicative of Apollo’s performance. Management uses these performance measures in making key operating decisions such as the following:
|—||Decisions related to the allocation of resources such as staffing decisions including hiring and locations for deployment of the new hires;|
|—||Decisions related to capital deployment such as providing capital to facilitate growth for the business and/or to facilitate expansion into new businesses; and|
|—||Decisions related to expenses, such as determining annual discretionary bonuses and equity-based compensation awards to its employees. With respect to compensation, management seeks to align the interests of certain professionals and selected other individuals with those of the investors in such funds and those of the company’s shareholders by providing such individuals a profit sharing interest in the carried interest income earned in relation to the funds. To achieve that objective, a certain amount of compensation is based on the Company’s performance and growth for the year.|
These measures of profitability have certain limitations in that they do not take into account certain items included under U.S. GAAP. ENI represents segment income (loss) attributable to Apollo Global Management, LLC, which excludes the impact of non-cash charges related to RSUs granted in connection with the 2007 private placement and amortization of AOG units, income tax expense, amortization of intangibles associated with the 2007 reorganization as well as acquisitions and Non-controlling Interests excluding the remaining interest held by certain individuals who receive an allocation of income from certain of our credit management companies. In addition, segment data excludes the assets, liabilities and operating results of the funds and VIEs that are included in the consolidated financial statements.
- ENI After Taxes represents ENI adjusted to reflect income tax provision on ENI that has been calculated assuming that all income is allocated to Apollo Global Management, LLC, which would occur following an exchange of all AOG units for Class A shares of Apollo Global Management, LLC. The assumptions and methodology impact the implied income tax provision which is consistent with those methodologies and assumptions used in calculating the income tax provision for Apollo’s consolidated statements of operations under U.S. GAAP. We believe this measure is more consistent with how we assess the performance of our segments which is described above in our definition of ENI.
- ENI After Taxes per Share represents ENI After Taxes which is divided by Non-GAAP Weighted Average Diluted Shares Outstanding. We believe ENI After Taxes per Share provides useful information to shareholders because management uses ENI After Taxes per Share as the basis to derive our earnings available for the determination of distributions to Class A shareholders.
- Non-GAAP Weighted Average Diluted Shares Outstanding is calculated using the GAAP Weighted Average Outstanding Class A Shares plus Non-GAAP adjustments assuming (i) the exchange of all of the AOG units for 231,230,636 Class A shares and (ii) the settlement of the weighted average vested RSUs in the form of Class A shares during the period. Management uses this measure in determining ENI After Taxes per Share described above.
- Non-GAAP Diluted Shares Outstanding is calculated using the GAAP Outstanding Class A Shares plus Non-GAAP adjustments assuming (i) the exchange of all of the AOG units for 231,230,636 Class A shares and (ii) the settlement of the vested RSUs in the form of Class A shares during the period. Management uses this measure, taking into account the unvested RSUs that participate in distributions, in determining our Class A shares eligible for cash distributions.
- Assets Under Management, or AUM, refers to the investments we manage or with respect to which we have control, including capital we have the right to call from our investors pursuant to their capital commitments to various funds. Our AUM equals the sum of:
|(i)||the fair value of our private equity investments plus the capital that we are entitled to call from our investors pursuant to the terms of their capital commitments to the extent a fund is within the commitment period in which management fees are calculated based on total commitments to the fund;|
|(ii)||the net asset value of our credit funds, other than certain CLOs, which we measure by using the mark-to-market value of the aggregate principal amount of the underlying collateralized loan obligation) or certain CLO and collateralized debt obligation credit funds that have a fee generating basis other than mark-to-market assets or liabilities, plus used or available leverage and/or capital commitments;|
|(iii)||the gross asset value or net asset value of our real estate entities and the structured portfolio company investments included within the funds we manage, which includes the leverage used by such structured portfolio companies;|
|(iv)||the incremental value associated with the reinsurance investments of the portfolio company assets that we manage; and|
|(v)||the fair value of any other investments that we manage plus unused credit facilities, including capital commitments for investments that may require pre-qualification before investment plus any other capital commitments available for investment that are not otherwise included in the clauses above.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV