Interest expense was $3.9 million for the three months ended June 30, 2013, compared to $0 for the prior-year period. The increase was attributable to debt incurred for the purchase of the Pasadena Facility and expansion projects at the East Dubuque and Pasadena Facilities.
Rentech Nitrogen realized a non-cash gain of $4.8 million for the three months ended June 30, 2013 as a result of a decrease in the potential earn-out consideration related to the acquisition of Agrifos. The decrease in fair value was primarily due to lower results and expectations in 2013 caused by a delayed and abbreviated spring application season and higher levels of urea exports from China suppressing prices.
Net income was $28.7 million or $0.74 per basic unit, for the current period. Excluding loss on debt extinguishment of $6.0 million and gain on fair value adjustment to earn-out consideration of $4.8 million, net income allocated to common unit holders for the current period was $29.8 million or $0.77 per basic unit. This compares to net income of $41.2 million or $1.08 per basic unit for the same period last year.
Six months ended June 30, 2013Revenues for the six months ended June 30, 2013 were $163.5 million, compared to $109.1 million for the comparable period in the prior year. Revenues increased due to the contribution of $67.3 million of revenues from the Pasadena Facility, partially offset by a 12% decline in revenues from the East Dubuque Facility. Product deliveries from both facilities were negatively affected by a wet spring which resulted in a delayed and abbreviated planting season and less nitrogen demand. Results of the quarter were further affected by significant increases in exports of urea from China that negatively impacted urea and other nitrogen prices. Lower urea prices also prompted some late season switching from UAN to urea due to the relative value of the two fertilizers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV