NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- What do you say when one restaurant charges $6 for a Coca-Cola, while the one next door charges $2? I call that a rip-off.
1. Device storage.
When you buy an iPad or iPhone, you have to pay $100 extra to go from 16 gig storage to 32 gig. How much does Google charge for the same storage bump in their equivalent devices?The Nexus 7 is $40 more for 32 gig vs. 16 gig. The Motorola X is $50 more for the same. In other words, Google is between 50% and 60% cheaper than Apple for the exact same thing. 2. LTE on the tablet. Apple charges $130 extra for LTE on the iPad. Google charges $80 more. That's 38% less. But wait, there's more! Google's LTE version -- on the Nexus 7 - is a single SKU that enables you to switch between LTE on AT&T (T), Verizon (VZ)and T-Mobile (TMUS), simply by swapping your pre-paid SIM card. With Apple, if you buy an iPad on Verizon, you can only get LTE on Verizon, and so forth with a separate version for AT&T, etc. You get the point - the iPad locks you to LTE on only one of the U.S. carriers. 3. Cell phone service pricing. If you want a reasonable package from AT&T or Verizon, you pay $90 a month for voice, data and SMS. Same thing with Android. You can get less expensive service with T-Mobile and Sprint (S), knocking off approximately $20 a month in comparisons that are not 100% oranges vs. oranges, but close enough. Same thing with Android. So far, so good -- for Apple. But then we go to even lower tiers: With Republic Wireless -- which works on Sprint -- you can get unlimited service for $19 a month. You have to buy an Android phone for $259 up-front. iPhone? No. With FreedomPop -- which also works on Sprint -- you can get limited service for FREE per month. Just buy Android smartphone up-front. iPhone? No.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV