Craft Brew Alliance , Inc. (“CB A ”) (Nasdaq: BREW), an independent craft brewing company, today reported its financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2013. CB A ’s focus on building a national portfolio strategy has positioned the Company to expect strong sales and profit growth in 2013 and to take advantage of the dynamic craft beer segment to achieve long-term value for its shareholders. The results for the second quarter are in line with management’s expectations and the Company confirms 2013 guidance.
Significant second quarter and year-to-date financial highlights include:
- Depletion volume grew 12% over the second quarter of 2012 and 9% year-to-date compared to the same period last year, reflecting the continued success of our portfolio strategy.
- Net sales and branded beer shipments increased 10.7% and 13.5%, respectively, in the second quarter due to the continued organic growth of our portfolio and the launch of new products, including Redhook Audible Ale, Kona Big Wave Golden Ale, Omission Beer and cross-brand variety packs. Year-to-date net sales and branded beer shipments grew 3.4% and 5.6%, respectively, compared to the first half of 2012.
- Our gross margin rate increased 40 basis-points to 30.5% in the second quarter compared to 30.1% for the second quarter last year as a result of supply chain optimization efforts implemented in the first quarter of the year. Our year-to-date gross margin rate declined to 27.9%, a decline of 240 basis points from the same period in 2012, due to lower capacity utilization.
- As a percentage of net revenue, our selling, general and administrative expense (“SG&A”) decreased to 26.4% in the second quarter of 2013 from 27.6% in the second quarter of 2012 as we have continued to leverage the strength of our brands. SG&A expense of $24.7 million year-to-date includes the continued investment in our portfolio strategy.
- Diluted earnings per share (“EPS”) for the second quarter of 2013 was $0.06 compared to $0.03 for the same period last year. 2013 year-to-date loss per share was $(0.04) compared to 2012 year-to-date EPS of $0.07.
- For the first six months of 2013, we reported capital additions of approximately $6.1 million for restaurant updates and continued investments in beer-related capacity, efficiency and quality initiatives.
“We are pleased with our depletions growth of 12% for the second quarter and 9% year-to-date. Our second quarter results are in line with our expectations and demonstrate the positive trend we are anticipating for the full year,” said Terry Michaelson, CB A ’s CEO. “For the second half of 2013, we remain focused on driving improved sales and profit growth by leveraging the strengths of our dynamic brand portfolio and continuing to realize benefits as a result of the investments we made in the first quarter to improve gross margin and SG&A.”
Components of anticipated 2013 results and developmentsWe are confirming previously issued guidance regarding our anticipated full year 2013 results, as follows:
- Depletion growth estimate of 7% to 11%, reflecting the continued strength of the Kona, Redhook and Omission brands and further stabilization of the Widmer Brothers brand.
- Average price increases of approximately 1% to 2%.
- Contract brewing revenue for 2013 at approximately half of the 2012 level as a result of the termination of the Goose Island contract brewing arrangement.
- Gross margin rate of 28.5% to 30.5%, primarily due to pressure from distribution and packaging component costs, partially offset by improved brewery productivity.
- SG&A expense of $47 million to $49 million, reflecting leverage from the foundation built by more aggressive spending in prior years.
- Capital expenditures of approximately $11 million to $13 million, reflecting our continued investments in capacity and efficiency improvements, quality initiatives and restaurant and retail remodeling projects.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV