Updated from 4:43 p.m. with extended-session trading action and third-quarter guidance.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- SolarCity (SCTY) shares were tumbling 12% to $37.40 after the company reported a narrower-than-expected loss of 31 cents a share on revenue of $37.5 million after market close on Wednesday.
Analysts were expecting the company to post a second-quarter loss of 38 cents a share on revenue of $27.44 million, according to a consensus estimate at Yahoo! Finance. For its first quarter of 2013, the company posted a loss of 41 cents a share on $30 million in revenue.
In its press release, the company increased is loss estimate for the third quarter to a range of 50 cents to 60 cents a share, while leaving full-year projections unchanged. For the third quarter, a consensus of analysts cited by Yahoo! Finance were expecting a loss of 38 cents a share, with a range of 22 cents to 49 cents a share.Shares of SolarCity have risen over 400% since its IPO in December. Shares of SCTY opened sharply lower Wednesday as solar stocks in general suffered following a weak earnings report from First Solar (FSLR) after the market close Tuesday. Shares of First Solar ended the session down 14.4% on the day at $40.47. Shares of SolarCity recovered from session lows to close down 3.1% at 42.50. With operations based in California and expanding nationally, SolarCity positions itself as an energy company, buying and leasing solar panels to clients. First Solar is a manufacturer of panels in direct competition with overseas manufacturers and exposed to falling prices for solar hardware. -- Written by Carlton Wilkinson in Asbury Park. Follow @CarltonTSC
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV