Groupon, Inc. (NASDAQ: GRPN) today announced financial results for the quarter ended June 30, 2013.
Eric Lefkofsky, CEO of Groupon (Photo: Business Wire)
"We significantly exceeded our operating income expectations, and delivered our strongest quarter ever in North America, due in part to accelerated billings growth of 30%," said Eric Lefkofsky, CEO of Groupon. “With two quarters on the job, I’m pleased with the progress we’ve made in such a short time. We continue to gain traction in mobile, with nearly 50% of our North American transactions coming from mobile in June. To date, more than 50 million people have downloaded Groupon apps worldwide.”
Groupon also announced today that its Board of Directors has appointed Eric Lefkofsky as CEO, and Ted Leonsis as Chairman of the Board. “The Board is encouraged by Groupon’s performance under Eric’s leadership, and we’re pleased that he has agreed to lead the company through this important stage of its evolution,” said Ted Leonsis, Chairman of Groupon.
Second Quarter 2013 SummaryGroupon changed its segment disclosures in the second quarter to separately report three segments: North America, EMEA and Rest of World, which provides a better sense of the financial profile of its regions. Gross billings, which reflect the total dollar value of customer purchases of goods and services, excluding any applicable taxes and net of estimated refunds, increased 10% globally to $1.41 billion in the second quarter 2013, compared with $1.29 billion in the second quarter 2012. North America growth of 30% and EMEA growth of 4% was offset by a 21% decline in Rest of World. Revenue increased 7% to $608.7 million in the second quarter 2013, compared with $568.3 million in the second quarter 2012. North America revenue growth of 45% was offset by a 24% decline in EMEA and a 26% decline in Rest of World.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV