FBR analyst Edward Mills, in a note on Tuesday, said the president's speech was likely to be "all but an endorsement of the Corker-Warner GSE reform proposal and would make any efforts at a recap of Fannie Mae and/or Freddie Mac even more unlikely."
Then again, with the Republicans in control of the House of Representatives, the president's support of the Corker-Warner bill could make it even more unlikely for the bill to be passed.
What gives hope to the junior preferred and common shareholders of Fannie and Freddie is that the companies keep booking tremendous profits. Institutional investors holding the shares are braced for a multiyear battle.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV