SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif., Aug. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- KaloBios Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Nasdaq: KBIO) today announced the appointment of V. Bryan Lawlis, Jr., Ph.D. to the KaloBios Board of Directors. Dr. Lawlis is President and Chief Executive Officer of Itero Biopharmaceuticals, LLC and also serves as a Director of Biomarin Pharmaceutical, Geron, and Sutro Biopharmaceuticals. Dr. Lawlis replaces former KaloBios Director Brigitte Smith, co-founder and Managing Partner of GBS Ventures.
" Bryan Lawlis is a veteran of the biotechnology industry, with over 30 years experience in the development, manufacture and commercialization of biologics," said David Pritchard, KaloBios President and Chief Executive Officer. "His extensive industry knowledge and drug development experience, especially in the manufacturing of therapeutic proteins and antibodies, will serve KaloBios well as we advance the development of our portfolio of proprietary, patient-targeted, monoclonal antibodies towards commercialization.""We also thank Brigitte Smith for her 10 years of valuable service to KaloBios as a board member during an important phase of our company's development and growth," said Mr. Pritchard. Dr. Lawlis co-founded Itero Biopharmaceuticals, a privately held developer of value-added follow-on and novel therapeutic proteins and antibodies, in 2006. Prior to that, Dr. Lawlis served as President and Chief Executive Officer of Aradigm Corporation from August 2004 , and served on its Board of Directors from February 2005 , continuing in both capacities until August 2006 . Dr. Lawlis served as Aradigm Corporation's President and Chief Operating Officer from June 2003 to August 2004 , and that company's Chief Operating Officer from November 2001 to June 2003 . Previously, Dr. Lawlis co-founded Covance Biotechnology Services, a contract biopharmaceutical manufacturing operation, served as its President and Chief Executive Officer from 1996 to 1999, and served as Chairman from 1999 to 2001, when it was sold to Diosynth RTP, Inc., a division of Akzo Nobel, NV. From 1981 to 1996, Dr. Lawlis was employed at Genencor, Inc. and Genentech, Inc. His last position at Genentech was Vice President of Process Sciences. Dr. Lawlis holds a B.A. in microbiology from the University of Texas at Austin and a Ph.D. in Biochemistry from Washington State University . About KaloBios KaloBios Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is developing a portfolio of proprietary, patient-targeted, first-in-class monoclonal antibodies designed to treat severe life-threatening or debilitating diseases for which there is an unmet medical need, with a clinical focus on severe respiratory diseases and cancer. Currently, KaloBios has three drug development programs:
- KB003, an anti-GM-CSF mAb with potential to treat inflammatory diseases, is being developed for the treatment of severe asthma. Enrollment of 160 patients has been completed in a planned 150 patient Phase 2 study in the United States , Europe and Australia .
- KB001-A, an anti-PcrV mAb fragment, is partnered exclusively with Sanofi and is being developed for the prevention and treatment of Pa infection. KaloBios has retained rights for the CF indication and has initiated a 180 patient Phase 2 study in CF subjects with chronic Pa lung infection in the United States . Sanofi is pursuing a ventilator associated pneumonia prevention indication in the intensive care setting, an indication which has received U.S. FDA Fast Track Designation.
- KB004, an anti-EphA3 mAb, has potential in treating hematologic malignancies and solid tumors. KaloBios is currently testing this drug in a Phase 1 study in subjects with hematologic malignancies.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts