NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- South Korea's other electronics giant, LG, came to New York Wednesday to introduce its new G2 smartphone to the world.
In a glossy presentation, LG Chairman and CEO Jong-seol Park and others took the stage to extol the virtues of the new device. Park said the G2's best selling point is where you'll find all the buttons -- on the back. Screen on/off, camera and volume controls are located just below the camera lens. LG believes the move allows the controls to become a natural extension of your index finger for easier one-handed use.
I thought the new phone's best feature is the processor. The G2 is the first smartphone to run on Qualcomm's (QCOM) new top-of-the-line Snapdragon 800 quad-core chip. In addition to the many new built-in features, Qualcomm's President and CEO Steve Mollenkopf took the stage to add that the 800 is blazingly fast and capable of taking advantage of future generation LTE networks.
The G2 boasts a 5.2-inch HD touchscreen (made possible by a very skinny bezel), 2 GB of RAM, a 13 megapixel camera on the back and 2.1 MP shooter up front and either 16GB or 32 GB of storage.The 3,000 mAh battery pack is layered like the battery in Motorola's new Moto X to take advantage of any possible wasted space inside the phone. And also like the Moto X, the G2 runs on Google's (GOOG) Android 4.2.2 not the just-released Android 4.3 version. LG stressed that the G2 is capable of taking amazing photos and providing users with high-resolution sound as well as offering what LG called new user-friendly features:
- Answer Me -- Automatically lowers a ring tone and answers a call when the phone is raised to your ear
- Plug & Pop -- Recommends options when am earphone or USB cable is detected
- Text Link -- Allows information embedded in text messages to be selected and saved in a memo or calendar
- QuickRemote -- LG's G2 be used to remotely control popular home entertainment devices and learn from conventional remotes
- Slide Aside -- Enables easier multitasking by simply "sliding" open apps off to the side using a three-finger swipe
- Guest Mode -- Protects owner's privacy by displaying only pre-selected apps when guests access the phone
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV