ServiceSource® (NASDAQ: SREV), the global leader in recurring revenue management, today announced key findings from its first annual Global Recurring Revenue Index. Based on analysis of $25B in recurring revenue under management globally since 2008, the study found that technology companies consistently underestimate the true recurring revenue opportunity for service, maintenance and other subscription-based offerings. The study features renewal statistics for several key industries and reveals that companies can boost true renewal rates an average of 18 percent by proactively managing data, analytics and selling processes of their direct and channel teams.
Today, recurring revenue from software and hardware maintenance and support and SaaS subscriptions account for between 30 to 40 percent of a company’s revenues and up to 50 percent of profits. In fact, many companies are now generating more revenue from their existing customers than from new business. According to The Technology Services Industry Association (TSIA), recurring revenue is growing at 8 percent per year while new revenue is growing at 6 percent. Failing to capture this vital annuity stream can mean the difference between hitting or missing quarterly revenue targets. Key findings in the study include:
- Best Practices Drive Increased Renewal Rates: On average, companies that employed best practices and tools with renewal-ready data significantly increased renewals rates from 75 to 89 percent. For Global 1000 technology companies, this 14 percent delta collectively represents billions of dollars in lost revenue.
- Hardware Support Requires Reliable Data: Hardware renewal is the most challenging business since equipment is always removed from production environments, retired or relocated. As hardware becomes difficult to track over time, typical renewal rates remained stagnant at 75 percent. By applying stringent asset management practices, hardware renewal rates improved by over 22 percent.
- Higher Customer Touch Equates to Improved Cross- and Up-sell: For software and SaaS companies, engaging customers on a consistent basis improves cross-sell and up-sell, while bolstering overall renewal rates. Armed with accurate customer data and usage patterns, SaaS companies minimized churn and increased close rates by 8 percent while software companies boosted recurring revenue by 26 percent overall.
- Channel Insight: Some companies rely upon the channel for up to 80 to 90 percent of their renewals business. Unfortunately, as companies become disconnected and abstracted from the day-to-day channel sales operations, their ability to effectively manage and close renewals business diminishes an average of 12 percentage points lower than direct sales. With proper insight into channel operations, companies in North America increased their renewal rates by 20 percent across all market segments.
- Laser Focus: Healthcare and life sciences organizations face slow growth due to hospital spending constraints and strong competition from third-party maintenance providers; however, they grew average renewal rates 9 percent by leveraging focused renewal sales teams and clean account data.
“Companies typically take their renewals business for granted,” said Christine Heckart, Executive Vice President of Marketing, Strategy, People, and Systems at ServiceSource. “The findings from our study underscore that technology companies significantly underestimate the true performance of their renewals business and must apply the same rigor to keeping existing customers as they would to winning new business.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV