- Revenues were $1.68 billion for the second quarter of 2013
- Segment operating margin was 8.1 percent, a 70 bps improvement over Q2 2012
- Total operating margin was 6.9 percent, up from 6.2 percent in the same period last year
- Diluted earnings per share was $1.12 for the quarter; pension-adjusted diluted earnings per share was $1.36
- Cash and cash equivalents at the end of the quarter were $623 million
NEWPORT NEWS, Va., Aug. 7, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Huntington Ingalls Industries (NYSE:HII) reported second quarter 2013 revenues of $1.68 billion, down 2.2 percent from the same period last year. Segment operating income for the second quarter was $136 million, compared to $127 million in the same period last year. Total operating income for the quarter was $116 million, up 9.4 percent from $106 million in the same period last year. Pension-adjusted operating income for the second quarter was $134 million, or 8.0 percent of revenue, up from $125 million, or 7.3 percent of revenue, in the comparable period of 2012. The income increases were primarily attributable to additional risk retirement on the SSN-774 Virginia-class (VCS) and National Security Cutter (NSC) programs, partially offset by lower volumes on amphibious assault ships and the receipt of $7 million for resolution of a contract dispute with a private party in the same period last year.
Second quarter diluted earnings per share was $1.12, compared to $1.00 in the same period of 2012. Pension-adjusted diluted earnings per share for the quarter was $1.36, compared to $1.24 in the comparable period of 2012.
New business awards for the quarter were $5.3 billion, bringing total backlog at the end of the quarter to $20.7 billion, of which $13.7 billion is funded. Significant new awards during the period included contracts for the construction of five DDG-51 Arleigh Burke-class destroyers, the inactivation of CVN-65 USS Enterprise and the construction of NSC-6 Munro."I am very pleased with the program execution at both Ingalls and Newport News as we drive performance toward our 2015 target of 9-plus percent operating margin," said Mike Petters, HII's president and chief executive officer. "We also continue to strengthen our backlog and long-term revenue visibility through the receipt of major new contract awards."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV