CAMBRIDGE, Mass., Aug. 7, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Idenix Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Nasdaq:IDIX), a biopharmaceutical company engaged in the discovery and development of drugs for the treatment of human viral diseases, today reported unaudited financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2013.
HCV Pipeline and Business Review
Samatasvir (IDX719), NS5A Inhibitor Program
- In May 2013, Idenix initiated the phase II HELIX-1 12-week clinical trial evaluating an all-oral, direct-acting antiviral (DAA) HCV combination regimen of samatasvir (IDX719), Idenix's once-daily pan-genotypic NS5A inhibitor, and simeprevir (TMC435), a once-daily protease inhibitor jointly developed by Janssen R&D Ireland and Medivir AB. Treatment-naïve, non-cirrhotic, genotype 1b or 4 HCV-infected patients are enrolled in one of three treatment groups receiving 50, 100, or 150 mg samatasvir once-daily for 12 weeks in combination with simeprevir plus ribavirin.
- The first cohort of patients (n=29) has completed enrollment. The Data Safety Monitoring Board has reviewed all data relating to this cohort up to 28 days of treatment and recommended that the study continue enrollment, which is now underway.
- The treatment regimen has been well tolerated and there have been no treatment-related serious adverse events in the clinical trial to date.
- Rates of sustained virologic response measured four weeks after the end of treatment (SVR4) will be available for the first cohort of patients in the fourth quarter of 2013.
- A second trial (HELIX-2) of samatasvir, simeprevir and TMC647055, a once-daily non-nucleoside polymerase inhibitor boosted with low-dose ritonavir being developed by Janssen, is expected to begin enrolling genotype 1 or 4 treatment-naïve HCV-infected patients in the third quarter of 2013.
- In June 2013, Idenix announced a request from the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for additional preclinical safety information for IDX20963, Idenix's lead uridine nucleotide prodrug candidate. Pending potential resolution of this request, the initiation of clinical testing of IDX20963 in the U.S. is on hold. Idenix has supplemental preclinical work ongoing and is compiling data to respond to the FDA's communication. The Company is simultaneously pursuing a clinical development strategy for IDX20963 outside the U.S.
- Additionally, Idenix plans to file a regulatory submission to initiate clinical trials for a second uridine nucleotide prodrug inhibitor in the second half of 2013.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV