By Pete Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Skullcandy (SKUL) has struggled recently but saw bullish option activity on Tuesday.
OptionMonster's trade scanners show that chunks of December 5 calls were purchased for 55 cents. More than 1,400 traded in volume well above the strike's previous open interest of just 47 contracts, indicating that this is fresh buying.
These calls lock in the price where shares can be bought, providing investors with a less expensive way to benefit from a rally without paying for the stock directly. They can generate some nice leverage in a rally while limiting losses if the stock drops.Skullcandy shares ended the session down 1.17% to $5.07. Calls outpaced puts by 3,300 to 173, a reflection of the day's bullish sentiment. Total option volume in the name was 10 times greater than average. The headphone maker's recent earnings haven't been solid, to say the least. But its shares have seen support at the $5 level where Tuesday's option activity was focused as traders look for a recovery by year's end. Najarian has no positions in SKUL.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV