By John Mylant, founder and CEO of (OptionsWeekly.Org)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Retail shopping has changed rapidly and it involves more than just the growth in technology. It involves omnichannel marketing to capture the best customer experience. The "experience" is what retailers believe will influence the consumer to come back and make more purchases in the long run.
Like specialized retailers of the past, large discount retailers are focusing on the customer more than before. If it was only about price and/or inventory, the small retailer might as well close its doors now. But there is more to it than what Wal-Mart (WMT) or Amazon (AMZN) offers.
Consumers Want More Than Good PriceRedesigning, stocking shelves and changing prices is easy to do, but the real challenge is to understand what distinguishing catalysts consumers are attracted to today. To that end, retailers might take a look at Apple (AAPL); it has hired and extensively trained its employees on how to interact and engage consumers in conversation and education; instead of how to just "sell the product." Consumers are looking for the pleasant shopping experience and this goes beyond price and assortment.
Combining brick-and-mortar with the "endless aisle" experience of online shopping, and engaging the consumer, as well as, providing a pleasant experience is what retail shoppers are looking for today.One large retailer who is redesigning its stores to adapt to this new retail evolution is Staples (SPLS). Staples recently launched a "pilot Omnichannel store," which incorporates the following:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV