The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) today reported earnings for its third fiscal quarter and nine months ended June 29, 2013. Diluted earnings per share (EPS) for the third quarter of $1.01 was equal to the prior-year quarter. Excluding certain items affecting comparability, EPS for the quarter increased 2% to $1.03 compared to $1.01 in the prior-year quarter. Diluted EPS for the nine months ended June 29, 2013 was $2.61 compared to $2.44 in the prior-year period.
"We are pleased with the results we delivered in the third quarter," said Robert A. Iger, Chairman and CEO of The Walt Disney Company. "We are confident that our strategy of creating high-quality branded content positions us well for the future."
The following table summarizes the third quarter and nine-month results for fiscal 2013 and 2012 (in millions, except per share amounts):
|Quarter Ended||Nine Months Ended|
|June 29,2013||June 30,2012||Change||June 29,2013||June 30,2012||Change|
|Segment operating income (1)||$||3,351||$||3,236||4||%||$||8,240||$||7,625||8||%|
|Net income (2)||$||1,847||$||1,831||1||%||$||4,742||$||4,438||7||%|
|Diluted EPS (2)||$||1.01||$||1.01||—||%||$||2.61||$||2.44||7||%|
|Cash provided by operations||$||3,413||$||2,885||18||%||$||6,717||$||6,431||4||%|
|Free cash flow (1)||$||2,723||$||2,145||27||%||$||4,908||$||3,580||37||%|
|(1)||Aggregate segment operating income and free cash flow are non-GAAP financial measures. See the discussion of non-GAAP financial measures below.|
|(2)||Reflects amounts attributable to shareholders of The Walt Disney Company, i.e. after deduction of noncontrolling (minority) interests.|
EPS for the current quarter includes $60 million of restructuring and impairment charges, which had a negative impact of $0.02 on EPS.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV