Is Obamacare Stealing Your Benefits?
They also note that employers have an incentive to keep workers' hours below 30 hours a week. Because of this, not only are union members losing their pay, but they are also losing their current health benefits. Furthermore, many union health insurance plans are non-profit and governed jointly by unions and companies under the Taft-Hartley Act. But the Obama administration is interpreting the ACA so that union members will be treated differently "and not be eligible for subsidies afforded other citizens," the union bosses claim. As such, they argue, many employees will be relegated to second-class status and shut out of the help the law offers to for-profit insurance plans.
The union leaders are getting increasingly urgent: "Time is running out: Congress wrote this law; we voted for you. We have a problem; you need to fix it. The unintended consequences of the ACA are severe."
The Teamsters, UFCW or UNITE-HERE were all contacted but declined comment.
One union that did comment when asked was the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW). Spokesperson Jim Spellane said that his union is focusing on the provision of the ACA that concerns Multiple Employer Health Plans, which affects his members.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV