First Solar, Inc. (Nasdaq: FSLR) today announced financial results for the second quarter of 2013. Net sales were $520 million in the quarter, a decrease of $235 million from the prior quarter and a decrease of $438 million from the second quarter of 2012. The sequential decrease in net sales is primarily attributable to lower systems business project revenues as well as lower module-only sales volume to third-parties. Compared to the second quarter of 2012, the decrease in net sales is primarily attributable to lower systems business project revenue as initial revenue recognition for AVSR and the sale of Silver State North were both achieved in the second quarter of 2012, partially offset by higher sales volume to third-party module-only customers in the second quarter of 2013.
As a previously highlighted possibility, the Company did not complete the sale of the ABW projects in the second quarter of 2013 and such sale is expected to occur in the second half of this year.
The Company reported second quarter net income per fully diluted share of $0.37, compared to $0.66 in the first quarter of 2013 and $1.27 in the second quarter of 2012. The second quarter of 2013 was impacted by pre-tax restructuring charges of $2.4 million (reducing EPS by $0.02), compared to $2.3 million (reducing EPS by $0.03) in the first quarter. In both cases the pre-tax charges related to previously announced restructuring actions. The sequential decrease in earnings was primarily due to lower revenue recognition for AVSR and lower sales volumes to third-party module-only customers in the second quarter compared to the first quarter. The year over year decrease in earnings was primarily due to lower systems business revenue recognition, partially offset by higher manufacturing utilization and higher module sales to third-party customers in the second quarter of 2013 compared to the second quarter of 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV