What Do Women Want? A Good Credit Score Is a Start
That's the scoop from a survey taken by Freecreditscore.com, the Costa Mesa, Calif., consumer credit ratings site.
"Our survey shows most people consider a partner's ability to manage money before saying 'I do,'" says Ken Chaplin, senior vice president at Freecreditscore.com. "Women are clearly more focused on this than men, but a lot of guys say they are thinking about things like the future co-signing of loans or how one partner's bad credit score may impact the other. It makes sense in this economy that we see increased scrutiny from both men and women; a low credit score is a warning of potential problems down the road, after vows are exchanged."
In the survey, 96% of women say financial stability is a big attraction, as opposed to 87% of women who say physical appearance is a genuine turn-on. Men reported slightly lower numbers in the financial category and higher ones in the "looks" category. In fact, credit scores are "significantly more important to women than to men" by 75% to 57%.
- 76% worry that a man's credit score could crimp their ability to buy a new home.
- 59% of women say they're worried about managing a joint credit account with a partner saddled with a low credit score.
- 56% say they're concerned about having to deal with higher interest rates due to a partner with a low credit score.
- In the survey, 95% of women say "being financially responsible" and 92% say "paying bills on time" are the top financial attributes in a potential romantic partner. But both men and women say spending beyond one's means and accumulating high debt are the least attractive financial traits of a potential love partner.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV