NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- It's the summer session for stocks, with very low volumes pushing indices lower on Tuesday. Giving us the breakdown for the first half of today's trading session is TheStreet's Joya Dass.
On Monday, market participants saw the lowest trading volume of the year. Tuesday remains slow, as many investors and traders are deep into their vacation schedule. However, that doesn't stop markets from moving, with the indices mostly in the red today.
Dass said that International Business Machine (IBM) was weighing heavily on the Dow Jones Industrial Average after it was downgraded by Credit Suisse. The firm cited a challenging growth environment going forward as the tech giant attempts to make a big shift into the cloud computing space.
Retail is another sector that is down Tuesday. American Eagle Outfitters (AEO) nearly cut its profit outlook in half, causing traders to push the stock lower by roughly 15%. As a result, other retailers such as The Gap (GPS) and Abercrombie & Fitch (ANF) are down as well.She added that economic data have also remained slow, especially when compared to last week, although the U.S. trade deficit in July did narrow to its lowest levels in 3.5 years. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV