USG (USG) ($26.74) is up just 0.8% since May 6 set a multiyear high at $30.97 on Feb. 13 and traded as low as $21.35 on June 24. The stock was downgraded to sell from hold later in May. The company reported a first-quarter earnings miss of 8 cents a share on April 24, earning 1 cent. On July 25 it reported a second-quarter earnings beat of 6 cents earning 23 cents a share. The sequential improvement in earnings was likely helped by the Sandy disaster recovery for this provider of building materials for home construction. The stock has rebounded to its 200-day SMA at $26.78. My semiannual value level is $25.64 with a monthly pivot at $26.23 and annual risky level at $44.11.
Whirlpool (WHR) ($137.05) gained 15.2% since May 6 and set a new multi-year high at $138.33 on Friday. The hold-rated company reported a first-quarter earnings beat of 2 cents a share on April 24, earning $1.97. On July 19 it missed second-quarter EPS estimates by 3 cents earning $2.37 a share. The maker of major home appliances seemed to have been helped by replacement demand during the recovery from the wrath of Sandy. My semiannual value level is $130.26 with a monthly pivot at $136.56.
(WY) ($28.16) lost 9.3% since May 6 and set a new multiyear high at $33.24 on May 22. The hold rated stock then declined to $26.38 on June 24. The stock had been trading back and forth around its 200-day SMA at $29.33 since June 5. On April 26 the company reported a first-quarter earnings beat of 4 cents a share, earning 26 cents. Then on July 26 it reported a second-quarter earnings beat of 5 cents earning 35 cents a share. The harvester of timber and forest products might have been helped by Sandy relief to some degree. My semiannual value level is $24.26 with an annual pivot at $28.69 and monthly risky level at $31.18.
At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV