The new chairman will have a great deal of pull with regards to future interest rate policy and economic stimulus, which can directly impact both the stock and bond markets. The Fed will also be digesting future economic data in order to make its ultimate decision on QE tapering that includes inflation expectations and employment trends.
I have been recommending for some time that investors consider shortening the duration of their portfolios and consider actively managed strategies for their fixed-income exposure. This includes the use of floating rate notes, short-duration bond funds, and a higher cash position to mitigate the interest rate risk in their portfolio. In addition, you can even consider rising rates funds that will help offset or hedge a portion of your bond holdings.
For those who are considering abandoning bonds altogether in a last ditch effort to put all their money in cash or stocks, I want to wish you good luck. The volatility in stocks will surely return in a swift and tumultuous fashion that catches most investors off-guard. On the flip side, the safety of cash is an alluring alternative that will provide short-term relief without adding any long-term value. The yield on cash is essentially zero and with inflation expectations you will be running at a negative pace. As they say, "it's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there."
The right actively managed income strategy can still provide low volatility, current income, and profitable returns. The key is to keep your expectations in line with the current market environment and to utilize the various income alternatives at your disposal.At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @fabiancapital This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV