Editor's Note: This article was originally published at 3:21 p.m. EDT on Real Money on Aug. 5. To see Jim Cramer's latest commentary as it's published, sign up for a free trial of Real Money.
First, it's harder than you think. These are stocks backed by products everyone loves. Last week I took a hard look at the new BMW electric car, the one that goes 100 miles on one tank, and I said it had none of the panache of the 180 miles-per-tank that the Tesla has. The fact that BMW's being branded as a city car leaves me cold, too. How many chargers are there in the city? The Tesla's a driving wonder. It is without a doubt the most sought-after car I have ever seen. Yet there are tons of nonbelievers everywhere.
When I was at the Delivering Alpha conference, a young buck kind of guy comes up to me and says he's just kiting, hasn't paid the fee for Delivering Alpha, he just wanted to see me about a job prospect. Some people remain under the delusion that I have a lot of jobs to give as I did a decade ago.But I played along, even as I felt proprietary enough to almost want him thrown out, and I said, "give me your best idea." He said, "Short Tesla." First, I asked why. He said the sales numbers are inflated. I asked him whether he had ever tried to get one? He said, "No." I urged him to go to the Short Hills Mall dealership and try to get on the waiting list. He didn't know there was a dealer or a waiting list. Unimpressive. Then I asked him, "Have you ever driven one?" He said, "No." I was wide-eyed and said, "Why do you insult me with your lack of homework?" I am as miserable to arrogant professionals as I am nice to unsophisticated amateurs. So he said that it was only a matter of time until the novelty wore off. I asked, "Do you know how many Teslas have been sold in Europe?" He had no idea. I said, "How about two? Is that novelty about to wear off?"
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV