Textainer Group Holdings Limited (NYSE: TGH) (“Textainer”, “the Company”, “we” and “our”), the world’s largest lessor of intermodal containers based on fleet size reported second quarter 2013 results.
“The second quarter was marked by attractive growth in both our lease rental income and net income,” commented Philip K. Brewer, President and Chief Executive Officer of Textainer. “EBITDA also increased significantly from the second quarter of last year demonstrating our strong generation of cash.
“Total capex ordered for delivery in 2013 was $692 million. Our fleet size has grown by 9.4% over the past twelve months to 2.9 million TEU. Utilization has averaged 95.1% year to date and is 94.3% currently. Utilization has been quite stable remaining within 1% of its current level for more than four months.
“Although the demand for containers improved in the second quarter, we continue to see compression of returns due to the high level of liquidity among container lessors and the ease with which containers can be purchased at factories. We expect these market conditions to continue for the near term. We are also expecting a muted peak season with utilization remaining near today’s levels as the market stabilizes,” added Mr. Brewer.Business Highlights:
- Continued strong pace of expansion, investing $494 million in new and used containers year-to-date following $198 million invested in new containers in the fourth quarter of 2012 for lease outs in 2013;
- Total fleet size grew by 9.4% to 2.9 million TEU, given the strong pace of investment over the past year;
- Announced a collaboration with Trifleet allowing expansion into tank leasing with one of the leaders in the industry;
- Reduced our average effective interest rate (which includes interest rate swaps) by 145 basis points year-over-year and by 34 basis points compared to the prior quarter, while increasing the size of several financing facilities;
- Achieved average utilization of 94.7% during the quarter and 94.3% currently; and
- Increased dividend to $0.47 per share, resulting in the Company’s fourteenth consecutive quarterly increase.
Key Financial Information (in thousands except for per share and TEU amounts):
|Q2 QTD||Q2 YTD|
|2013||2012||% Change||2013||2012||% Change|
|Income from operations||$||72,061||$||69,245||4.1%||$||148,131||$||137,225||7.9%|
|Net income attributable to Textainer Group Holdings Limited common shareholders||$||48,815||$||45,809||6.6%||$||97,149||$||95,719||1.5%|
|Net income attributable to Textainer Group Holdings Limited common shareholders per diluted common share||$||0.86||$||0.91||-5.5%||$||1.71||$||1.90||-10.0%|
|Adjusted net income (1)||$||45,668||$||44,674||2.2%||$||91,790||$||93,516||-1.8%|
|Adjusted net income per diluted common share (1)||$||0.80||$||0.89||-10.1%||$||1.61||$||1.85||-13.0%|
|Adjusted EBITDA (1)||$||106,227||$||92,698||14.6%||$||214,767||$||183,052||17.3%|
|Average fleet utilization||94.7%||97.5%||-2.9%||95.1%||97.2%||-2.2%|
|Total fleet size at end of period (TEU)||2,860,549||2,615,282||9.4%|
|Owned percentage of total fleet at end of period||74.0%||60.4%||22.5%|
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts