The IT consulting and outsourcing specialist reported revenue of $2.161 billion, a 20.4% increase from the same period last year, and above Wall Street's forecast of $2.13 billion.
Excluding items, Cognizant earned $1.07 a share, up from 89 cents a share in the same period last year. Analysts surveyed by Yahoo! Finance were looking for earnings of 97 cents a share.
Investors welcomed the numbers, pushing Cognizant's shares up 3.9% to $76.27 in premarket trading.The Teaneck, N.J.-based firm noted particular strength in its European business, which saw total revenue increase 37% from the same period last year. Excluding the U.K., Cognizant's European revenue climbed 53.8% over the same time frame. "Economic pressures and long-term secular industry shifts have been driving fundamental changes in client demands," said Gordon Coburn, Cognizant's president, in a statement. For the third quarter, Cognizant expects sales of at least $2.25 billion and earnings of $1.09 a share. Analysts surveyed by Yahoo! Finance are looking for sales of $2.22 billion and earnings of $1.03 a share. Facebook (FB) shares slipped 0.23% to $39.10, although the social networking giant was the most active premarket Nasdaq stock on share volume of 354,087. PC maker Dell (DELL) was off 0.07% to $13.67 on share volume of 124,640. BlackBerry (BBRY), however, was a gainer, rising 1.89% to $9.76 on share volume of 78,180. Tesla (TSLA) was a more modest gainer, climbing 0.87% to $145.94. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV