NEW YORK, Aug. 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Weight Watchers International, Inc. (NYSE: WTW) today announced the appointment of Gary D. Foster, Ph.D., as Co-Chief Scientific Officer. With more than 30 years of experience, Dr. Foster will partner with company veteran and lead creator of the PointsPlus ® program and Weight Watchers International Co-Chief Scientific Officer Karen Miller-Kovach, MS, RD, in overseeing the company's science-based program, all clinical research initiatives, and continued program advances. Reporting to President and CEO Jim Chambers, Dr. Foster will also serve as a member of the Weight Watchers Executive Committee.
Dr. Foster previously was the Founder and Director of the Center of Obesity Research and Education and Laura Carnell Professor of Medicine, Public Health and Psychology at Temple University in Philadelphia. Prior to Temple, he served as a faculty member at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. He has authored or coauthored more than 160 scientific publications and three books on the etiology and treatment of obesity. Dr. Foster's research interests include the prevention, behavioral determinants, treatments, and effects of obesity in adults and children. Dr. Foster earned his B.A. in Psychology from Duquesne University, M.S. in Psychology from University of Pennsylvania, and Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology from Temple University.
"Dr. Foster is highly regarded in the scientific community for his research on the prevention and treatment of obesity and his expertise in behavior change," said Chambers. "The addition of Dr. Foster to our dedicated team of science and nutrition experts demonstrates our continued commitment to an evidence-based approach to weight loss as well as our strategic focus on growth by expanding our proven approach within the healthcare marketplace."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV