The Pantry, Inc. (NASDAQ: PTRY), a leading independently operated convenience store chain in the southeastern U.S., today announced financial results for its fiscal third quarter ended June 27, 2013.
Third Quarter Summary:
- Net income was $5.9 million or $0.26 per diluted share. This compares to net income of $14.8 million or $0.65 per diluted share in last year's third quarter. Excluding the impact of impairment charges, net income for the third quarter of fiscal 2013 was $6.4 million, or $0.28 per diluted share, compared to net income of $15.9 million, or $0.70 per diluted share, in the prior year (see reconciliation below).
- Adjusted EBITDA was $65.3 million, down from $74.7 million a year ago.
- Fuel gross profit was $53.8 million, compared to $67.1 million a year ago as retail fuel margin per gallon decreased to $0.123 from $0.146 in the prior year quarter. Comparable store fuel gallons sold decreased 4.4%.
- Comparable store merchandise revenue increased 1.3% and increased 3.3% excluding cigarettes.
- Merchandise gross margin was 33.8% compared to 33.5% a year ago.
- Store operating and general and administrative expenses were $149.4 million compared to $152.1 million a year ago.
- Our effective tax rate for the third quarter of fiscal 2013 was 54.9% compared to 36.5% in the third quarter of fiscal 2012 due to actual and anticipated levels of pre-tax profit. We now anticipate a full-year 2013 effective tax rate of 32.6% compared to 54.1% in 2012.
President and Chief Executive Officer Dennis G. Hatchell said, "I am pleased with the progress we made during the third quarter. Our comparable store merchandise sales growth moved back into positive territory as average sales per customer increased 2.5% compared to the prior year quarter. Additionally, we slowed the rate of decline in retail fuel gallons sold. However, fuel margins were $0.023 per gallon lower than during last year's third quarter leading to the decline in Adjusted EBITDA."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV