Chris Lau, Kapitall: As Dell (DELL) continues to toy with buyout plans from founder Michael Dell and investment firm Silver Lake, the landscape for the PC market at large – something investors should note ahead of any actual privatization of the company.
[Read more from Kapitall: 5 Stocks With Happy Employees After The Fast-Food Strike-Out]
If Dell is taken private, shareholders will get $13.75, a special dividend of $0.13 per share, and a $0.08 dividend per share in the third quarter. With Dell out of the public eye, investors would have access to one less direct link to the fortunes of the PC market.
The overall PC market is shrinking. IT research firm Gartner said that second quarter shipments dropped by 10.9%. PC Makers If Dell is no longer a publicly company, the firm can either improve the quality and design of its PC products, or reduce its focus to develop smartphones or tablets. Either way, the shift will give competitors like Hewlett Packard (HPQ) or Lenovo (OTC:LNVGY) a temporary boost in market share. While Dell experienced a 3.9% decline in PC shipments in the second quarter of 2013, Lenovo gained 1.7% in market share compared to the same period in the previous year. HP gained 1% in market share, although it too, experienced a 4.8% decline in growth. Looking to the long term, if Dell makes a concerted effort to improve the quality of its lineup, such as the Dell XPS13 or Alienware products, then HP could face some real competition for its premium PC products. Dell could be free again to try new things. The PC giant had once been free to test Android Phablet computers and thin Latitude laptops that could be charged wirelessly, back in 2009. Dell could once again redefine “ultrabooks” and the paradox in offering a tablet and laptop as a single solution.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV