The main effect of the decision, which most in the press don't understand, is that this takes import restrictions out of Google's hands, as it tries to use Motorola SEP patents to pry open the market in smartphone features. Posner and the ITC are really siding with Apple, with its huge portfolio of non-FRAND patents.
Whether software should be subject to patent is another question. Personally, I don't think it should. But what we should know, now, is that patents on standards can't stop international trade, and for that we should all be thankful, no matter where we are on the Apple vs. Android divide.
At the time of publication, the author owned 100 share in AAPL and 10 shares in GOOG.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV