JOPLIN, Mo., Aug. 5, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Con-way Truckload, a full truckload carrier and subsidiary of Con-way Inc. (NYSE: CNW), today announced it is investing in three state-of-the-art safety technology systems for all of the 525 new tractors it will take delivery of in 2013.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click: http://www.multivu.com/mnr/62206-con-way-truckload-safety-advanced-in-cab-tech-driver-best-practices
The $2 million investment reinforces the company's commitment to operating safely on America's highways, and in particular, to the safety of its drivers. Already one of the industry's recognized leaders in driver safety training, the new systems add "sense and respond" technologies in the cab that enhance driver skills. The systems provide early-warning alerts as well as proactive intervention that will enable significant reduction of the most common highway safety incidents in which trucks are involved, explained Saul Gonzalez, Con-way Truckload's president."We already believe we have the safest drivers on the road," Gonzalez said. "These systems will serve to supplement our drivers' skills and good habits, and help us contribute to safer roadways for all who travel them." The new systems both complement and enhance Con-way's existing safety-development programs, which include compulsory skills testing and remedial training, continuing education, personal safety plans and bonuses for achieving safe-driving performance goals. "We always want to be sure we have the best technology and equipment to support our drivers in the performance of their jobs safely and effectively," added Gonzalez. "This investment once again demonstrates that we put nothing higher than the safety of our drivers." The three systems being installed on this year's fleet deliveries are:
- Front-Collision Avoidance – Combining onboard, forward-looking radar and adaptive cruise control, the system monitors the vehicle directly in front of the tractor and sounds an alarm when the truck closes to less than a safe, three-second stopping distance of the vehicle it is approaching. If the driver does not take timely action, the system intervenes and begins braking the truck independently. The system also issues visual and auditory caution alerts to improve reaction times. The Kenworth and Navistar tractors feature Bendix ® Wingman ® Advanced™ Collision Mitigation Technology, while the Freightliner tractors feature Meritor WABCO's OnGuard™ Collision Safety System.
- Electronic Stability Control – Developed by Bendix, this system automatically corrects vehicle speed to prevent potential rollover incidents. The technology monitors the tractor for G-forces and automatically begins braking to slow the tractor down and decrease the amount of lean, or tipping of the trailer in a turn, thus minimizing rollover risk.
- Lane Departure Warning – Developed by Takata, this system immediately alerts a driver if the vehicle begins veering unintentionally (without first engaging the turn signal) into another lane. Depending on which direction the truck is heading, a sound resembling that of a "rumble strip" on the apron of a highway emits from the corresponding radio speaker. This sound immediately alerts the driver, who can then take corrective action by using their turn signal or guiding the tractor back into the proper lane.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV