NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- It's like Paris in the 1920's--except without the art, sex, food, wine or romance.
The run-up in perennially cheap U.S. bank stocks like Morgan Stanley (MS), Bank of America (BAC) and Citigroup (C) means investors looking for value will need to look to Europe, argue Keefe Bruyette & Woods analysts in a report published Sunday.
"The large-cap U.S. banks that had been languishing below tangible book value since early 2011--C, MS and BAC--all had regained that level by last week. Many of the largest European banks have not followed suit. While there are many reasons for investors to remain concerned about Europe's banks, there are also a number of reasons why they may follow the U.S. banks to tangible book value," the report states.
While noting "the European economy remains weak, and many of the large-cap banks have less capital on a Basel 3 leverage basis than U.S. banks," KBW argues "there are a number of reasons why investors should look toward Europe."They point to actions by Europe's central bank which they say have tamed the continent's liquidity problems. They also point to efforts by several European banks, including Deutsche Bank (DB) and Barclays (BCS) to raise capital in recent weeks. Among KBW's top picks are Societe Generale (SCGLY), at 70% of tangible book value (TBV) and Barclays and Deutsche Bank both at 80% of TBV. -- Written by Dan Freed in New York. Follow @dan_freed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV