Not only did Obama's trade representative Froman put politics at the forefront by denying the ban, there were several other politicians who expressed support for the denial. A group of U.S. Senators that includes Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D.-Minn.), Sen. Mike Lee (R.-Utah), Sen. Barbara Boxer (D.-Calif.), and Sen. Jim Risch (R.-Idaho) all expressed concern, making the issue even more political.
Apple CEO Tim Cook has been in Washington regularly over the past few years, apparently getting in the good graces of the White House, even having the company mentioned as part of Obama's State of the Union address earlier this year. Cook was a guest of First Lady Michelle Obama at the address as well, further adding support to the fact that Cook is putting increased importance on relationships with Washington.
The ban affected the GSM versions of older iPhones and iPads, the iPhone 4 and the iPad 2. Given the fact that the iPhone 4 and 4S continue to sell extremely well, as seen in Apple's fiscal third-quarter, this decision has a positive affect on Apple.It's likely that Apple discontinues the iPhone 4 later this year when it unveils the next version of the iPhone, but it's still important for Apple to continue selling as many iPhone 4's as it can. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV