NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Today I profile eight companies that report quarterly earnings premarket on Tuesday. These companies provide quite a mix of products and services; agricultural processing, a major pharmacy, a satellite TV provider, two high end retailers of watches, handbags and footwear, a supplier of building materials, a brewery, and a fleet provider for offshore energy platforms. The performances of these stocks represent a diverse view of the U.S. economy.
Last week we learned that economic growth remained well below par in the second quarter. We saw that consumer confidence could be stalling below normal readings. A report on home prices showed that the housing bubble may be re-inflating as home ownership falls to a 17.5-year low. The payroll data for July was weaker than expected and the unemployment rate fell to 7.4% only because more discouraged workers stopped looking for a job. The economy is creating more part time jobs and the number of part time workers rose to 28 million.
Stock market bulls call this mix positive as the FOMC pledged to keep the federal funds rate at 0% with the continued QE purchases at $85 billion per month.
The ValuEngine valuation warning continues with 76.8% of all stocks overvalued including 44.6% by 20% or more. 15 of 16 sectors are overvalued, 14 by double-digit percentages with 10 by more than 20%.Market technicals remain positive but some weekly charts are becoming overbought. Since there are no signals calling for a market top, new highs continue. This was the case last week with new all-time highs set on Thursday for Dow transports at 6686.86 and on the Russell 2000 at 1060.96. On Friday the Dow industrial average set a new all time high at 15,658.43, as did the S&P 500 at 1709.67. The Nasdaq set a multi-year high on Friday at 3689.59.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV