Student Loan Debt Bad? It's Much Worse for Women
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Men who feel trapped by crushing student loan debt have one thing going for them: They're not women.
According to The Pew Research Center, about one out of five (19%) U.S. households owe student loan debt, with up to 40% of households headed by someone 35 or under owing some amount of student loans. But though the burden of loan debt affects a significant percentage of those under 35 regardless of demographic, it turns out that women are hurt more.
This is because though women and men pay the same amount for their college degrees, they do not reap the same benefits. A recent report by the American Association of University Women, Graduating to a Pay Gap, found that women are often paid substantially less than men upon graduation, putting a heavier burden of loan debt on women.
The study -- which analyzed Department of Education records of more than 15,000 recent baccalaureate graduates -- found that among bachelor degree recipients for 2007 and 2008, women earned an average of $35,296 at their first post-college jobs, as compared with men at $42,918. A pay gap of about 7% or more is evident even among women and men who majored in the same fields and entered the same professions. For instance, female teachers were found to have earned only 89% of what male teachers earned.The report indicates that the difficulties women have in repaying student loan debt are dependent mainly on this pervasive pay gap and do not have to do with different levels of borrowing among men and women. In fact, the report found that women and men who borrow to ﬁnance their college educations usually do at similar amounts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV