The 10 Beer-Drinkingest States In America
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Though the wine and spirits markets have grown during the last few years, Americans' love of beer still hasn't reached last call.
Americans put down 28.2 gallons of beer per capita last year, according to Washington, D.C., beer industry group The Beer Institute. That's nearly two 15.5-gallon kegs apiece, or nearly six of their buddy's five-gallon homebrew kegs. It's also well up from the 20.8 gallons they put down last year, which is saying far more about the health of the industry than it lets on.
Anheuser-Busch InBev (BUD) and MolsonCoors (TAP) have seen their U.S. sales slide in recent years, but A-B eked out some improvement last year. Meanwhile, advances by imported beers from Diageo (DEO) and Constellation Brands (STZ) and craft beers from brewers such as Samuel Adams maker Boston Beer (SAM) and others are drawing more folks to the taps and bottle shops. With help from The Beer Institute and the Brewers Association, we found the top beer-drinking states in the union and took a look at just who's pouring their beers:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV