How Extreme Perfectionists Sabotage Themselves
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Are you an extreme perfectionist?
Too bad for you, as the constant drive to succeed, and perfectly so, will only make you miserable, according to data from Queendom.com, an interactive website for self-exploration.
The study of 1,206 Canadians reveals something perfectionists probably already know: There really is no such thing as perfectionism, although the chase for it is certainly real enough.
"Perfectionists can appreciate, with a certain sense of bitterness, the fruitless toils of Sisyphus," the study notes. "Struggle as they might to be perfect, they just never manage to attain this lofty goal. This isn't to say that working hard has little value. Doing your best is one thing -- trying to be perfect is a whole other mess."here), and bundled the responses into three groups: extreme, moderate and low perfectionists. The survey draws an interesting conclusion from the three groups. While the strive for perfection does produce better results, it doesn't make those strivers any happier. In fact, the happiest and better adjusted of the three groups were those "low perfectionists." Even in academia the benefits of extreme perfectionism don't stand out as much as one might expect:
- 30% of extreme perfectionists had straight-A grades in school, 42% had good grades (a mix of A and B marks), and 28% had average grades.
- 27% of moderate perfectionists had straight-A grades in school, 44% had good grades and 30% had average grades.
- 21% of low perfectionists had straight-A grades in school, 39% had good grades and 40% had average grades.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV