DENVER, Aug. 2, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Vista Gold Corp. (TSX & NYSE MKT: VGZ) ("Vista" or the "Company") today announced its unaudited financial results and highlights for the second quarter ended June 30, 2013. Management's quarterly conference call to discuss these results is scheduled for 2:30pm MDT on August 6, 2013. The Company's full financial results, Management's Discussion and Analysis together with other important disclosures can be found in the Company's Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q, filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and the Canadian securities regulatory authorities.
Second Quarter 2013 Highlights:
- Published a Preliminary Feasibility Study ("PFS") on the Mt. Todd gold project including a 44% increase in Proven and Probable Reserves to 5.9 million ounces gold;
- Awarded Major Project Status by the Northern Territory Government for the Mt. Todd gold project, signifying the Territory's support for the timely and responsible development of the project;
- Submitted the Mt. Todd gold project's Environmental Impact Statement ("EIS") to the Northern Territory Environmental Protection Agency; and
- Implemented significant cost reduction measures including the deferral or elimination of various discretionary programs, the elimination of two executive positions, and executive/senior management and board cash compensation reductions of up to 50%.
Frederick H. Earnest, President and Chief Executive Officer, commented, "In the second quarter we have achieved several important milestones. We announced the results of the Mt. Todd PFS, most of which was completed based on feasibility-level engineering, significantly reducing the amount of time and expense to complete a final feasibility study. We completed the treatment of water in the Batman Pit with better-than-expected results and are now in a position to discharge clean water during the next wet season. We submitted the EIS and continue to expect its approval (including certain Federal government approvals) around year-end. With the completion of these cash-intensive activities we expect to significantly lower cash burn rates as we move forward, and importantly, we have positioned the Mt. Todd gold project to move forward quickly once the markets improve."
Mr. Earnest added, "We are very cognizant of current market conditions and are committed to taking all measures necessary to ensure our continued liquidity and preserve shareholder value. We have implemented significant cost reduction measures including exploration spending deferrals, elimination of discretionary programs, and the elimination of two executive positions. Additionally, our executive/senior management team and board have accepted voluntary cash compensation reductions of up to 50%, subject to periodic review by the compensation committee. We are continuing to prioritize our capital raising efforts on the sale of non-core assets including our Colomac mill equipment, the Guadalupe de los Reyes project, and Invecture's pending earn-in on the Los Cardones project. We remain optimistic about improvements to the gold market and Vista's potential favorable leverage to a higher gold price, but we acknowledge that the timing is not predictable. Consequently, in addition to the measures described above we believe it is prudent to evaluate all options, including arrangements which might release some of the potential value contained in the Mt. Todd gold project."
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts