Bonnie Amos, wife of Gen. Amos, commandant of the Marine Corps, is the ship's sponsor. She authenticated the keel of LPD 27 saying it had been "truly and fairly laid." Her name was welded onto a steel plate by Ingalls welder Marty Peterson.
During her remarks, Mrs. Amos told the Ingalls shipbuilders, "I've been told the sponsor of a ship instills her own unique spirit into the heart of each warship. I take that responsibility very seriously and will be thinking and praying for each one of you every day as you bring this ship to completion. Today marks the beginning of my commitment to support this ship, my commitment to the workers who will bring her to life and my commitment to the men and women who wear the cloth of our nation who will man her decks."
Ingalls Shipbuilding is building the entire LPD 17 San Antonio Class of ships, the newest addition to the Navy's 21st century amphibious assault force. To date, eight ships have been delivered to the Navy. The 684-foot-long, 105-foot-wide ships are used to transport and land Marines, their equipment and supplies ashore via embarked air cushion or conventional landing craft and amphibious assault vehicles, augmented by helicopters or vertical takeoff and landing aircraft such as the Osprey. The ships will continue to support amphibious assault, special operations, or expeditionary warfare and humanitarian missions throughout the first half of the century.
In addition to more than 10,000 Ingalls shipbuilders, there are 650 suppliers from 38 states which support the LPD 17 program. Ingalls spends approximately $175 million a year with this vital industrial base.Huntington Ingalls Industries (HII) designs, builds and maintains nuclear and non-nuclear ships for the U.S. Navy and Coast Guard and provides after-market services for military ships around the globe. For more than a century, HII has built more ships in more ship classes than any other U.S. naval shipbuilder at its Newport News Shipbuilding and Ingalls Shipbuilding divisions. Employing about 37,000 in Virginia, Mississippi, Louisiana and California, HII also provides a wide variety of products and services to the commercial energy industry and other government customers, including the Department of Energy. For more information about HII, visit:
- HII on the web: www.huntingtoningalls.com
- HII on Facebook: www.facebook.com/HuntingtonIngallsIndustries
- HII on Twitter: twitter.com/hiindustries
CONTACT: Bill Glenn firstname.lastname@example.org 228-935-1323
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV