PASCAGOULA, Miss., Aug. 2, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Huntington Ingalls Industries' (NYSE:HII), Ingalls Shipbuilding authenticated the keel of the company's 11 th amphibious transport dock ship, Portland (LPD 27).
A photo accompanying this release is available at http://media.globenewswire.com/hii/mediagallery.html?pkgid=20227 .
U.S. Marine Corps Gen. James Amos, commandant of the U.S. Marine Corps and principal speaker for the ceremony, noted the first-in-class USS San Antonio (LPD 17) was presently off the coast of Yemen alongside another Ingalls-built ship, USS Kearsarge (LHD 3)."That lead ship of this great warship class, with its Marines, is serving the Navy and our nation very proudly today," Gen. Amos said. "It's in harm's way as we speak. Realizing that Portland is scheduled to be the last ship in this class, nothing would warm my heart more and nothing would make me work harder than to continue to build this class of ship." LPD 27, named in honor of Oregon's most populated city, is currently about seven percent complete. The ship is scheduled to launch in early 2016 and is scheduled to deliver to the U.S. Navy in late 2017. Somerset (LPD 25) is currently preparing for builder's sea trials and John P. Murtha (LPD 26) is currently 50 percent complete and will launch next year. "We build ships for the greatest Navy and greatest Marine Corps that has ever been," said Ingalls Shipbuilding President Irwin F. Edenzon. "We are proud of the tradition here at Ingalls shipbuilding. Mrs. Amos, we know that you share our pride in the workmanship and craftsmanship of all of the shipbuilders who are building your ship."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV