Petition Pits Opera World Against Putin Over Gay Rights
In February, both stars performed at the opening of the Marinsky II, a new $700 million opera house in Russia. Gergiev, director of the Marinsky Theater, said in a statement online that with the new additional theater "it will be possible to stage the most contemporary works and innovative productions, productions of which we could not even have dreamed before." Putin was in the audience at the opening for that theater. It is safe to assume it could not have been built without his support.
Rudin calls Gergiev and Netrebko's support for Putin "a devil's bargain."
"A couple years ago they began to champion him and speak in favor of his government," Rudin said. But in recent months, Putin has spearheaded new laws that allow the detention of tourists and citizens thought to be gay or seen to be promoting gay rights.
"I can't imagine they thought this
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV