NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- After Whole Foods Market (WFM) reported earnings earlier this week, the stock has seen some selling pressure. Is this the tip of the iceberg or a buying opportunity? TheStreet's Jim Cramer and Debra Borchardt take a look.
Athough the company reported in-line results for both the top and bottom lines, analysts continued to hammer management about product pricing during the Q&A portion of the conference call.
Because of concerns about pricing and promotions and the effects they could have on margins, the stock has declined. But according to Cramer, this isn't fair, because management didn't raise the issue of the pricing and promotions. Rather, it was the analysts that kept discussing the topic.
Cramer did admit the stock was a little expensive at a price-to-earnings ratio of 35, but he said a further pullback is a buying opportunity. Nothing was wrong with the quarter, and the stock still has momentum, Cramer said.Cramer also said the company currently has 1,000 stores but could "easily" expand to 1,200 and that the conference call was not as negative as analysts are trying to spin it. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell Action Alerts PLUS, which Cramer co-manages as a charitable trust, had no positions in stocks mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV