NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The recovery in housing is helping create jobs in the economy but anemic growth in overall employment is doing little for prospective homebuyers.
According to Trulia economist Jed Kolko, the latest July jobs report shows residential construction employment was up 4.5% year over year, outpacing national employment growth of 1.7%.
But the report also showed that young adults in the age group of 25-34 years are still struggling with unemployment. The employment rate in this category is 75%, well below the pre-bubble normal rate of 78%-80%.
Unless employment picks up in this category,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV