Moto X is the first phone customers can customize to a tremendous degree. The process is similar to what potential buyers can do on automobile maker Mini USA's Website. With the new Moto Maker service, buyers can choose from the large array of colors, accents, amount of memory, screen wallpaper and decide whether or not to have a name or message engraved on the back. AT&T will be exclusively offering the online configuration tool, at least for now.
Once ordered, Motorola promises you'll receive your new phone within four days. The company is able offer this service because phone is being assembled in a new Fort Worth, Texas facility, with Google and Motorola showing pride that the phone is made in the USA.
Despite all the positives, there was one glaring negative. Motorola didn't really talk about the operating system installed inside. That's because Moto X is not shipping with the latest version of the Android OS. Instead, the phone comes with Android 4.2.2 not 4.3 which seems very strange considering both hardware and software come from the same company.
Moto X should be available for purchase in the coming weeks. AT&T (T), Sprint (S), T-Mobile (TMUS), U.S. Cellular (USM) and Verizon (VZ) will all sell the new device. Sprint will guarantee its unlimited everything plan throughout a Moto X's "service life".One thing is for sure, you will be hearing a lot about Moto X in the coming weeks, with Google rumored to have spent $500 million in advertising to fuel interest in the new device. Out test unit is less than a day old at this point. While the Touchless Control feature is very, very cool we'll have a lot more to say about the phone in the very near future. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV