PharMerica Corporation (NYSE: PMC), a national provider of pharmacy services, today reported its financial results for the second quarter and six months ended June 30, 2013.
Commenting on the Company’s results, Greg Weishar, PharMerica Corporation’s Chief Executive Officer, said, “This quarter’s results continue the strong operating performance we realized last quarter. On a sequential quarter basis, the Company maintained its record setting first quarter 2013 quarterly gross margin percent of 19.2%. Adjusted EBITDA margin was equally strong at 7.8%; just shy of the 7.9% record we established last quarter. Moreover, on a year over year basis, Adjusted EBITDA increased 26% to $33.7 million and Adjusted EBITDA margin increased 200 basis points to 7.8%.
“Last quarter we indicated we were seeing improvement in sales and client retention. We see this trend continuing and expect further momentum as we head into the last half of the year. Excluding Golden Living and Kindred, bed losses have fallen significantly and the sales pipeline is growing and beginning to generate new sales. We believe our superior cost containment programs and pharmacy services are leading to improvement in client retention and firmly believe the Company is well positioned to aggressively compete in the long term care market segment.
“Amerita, the specialty home infusion company that we acquired in December 2012, saw impressive operating earnings growth on a sequential basis. Operating earnings improved 50% in the second quarter of 2013 versus the strong first quarter of 2013. Recall, Amerita was accretive to earnings last quarter and we expect continued growth as Amerita’s prospects remain bright.“Cash flow for the quarter was $26.6 million bringing our year to date cash flow to $74.3 million, an increase of 43% over the first half of 2012. “Finally, based on the strong performance for the first six months of 2013, PharMerica now expects the following for the full year 2013:
|Previous Guidance||Current Guidance|
|Revenues||$1.567B to $1.694B||$1.625B to $1.675B|
|Adjusted diluted earnings per share||$1.39 to $1.55||$1.55 to $1.60|
|Cash flows from operations*||$85M to $95M|
*Cash flows from operations was not provided in previous guidance.
Note: The full year guidance excludes the impact of any acquisitions or restructuring charges that may be incurred by the Company.
- Key Comparisons of Second Quarters Ended June 30, 2013 and 2012:
- Net income for the second quarter of 2013 was $10.2 million, or $0.34 diluted earnings per share, compared with $7.6 million, or $0.26 diluted earnings per share, for the same period in 2012. Adjusted diluted earnings per share were $0.44 in 2013 compared with $0.35 adjusted diluted earnings per share in 2012, an increase of 25.7%.
- Adjusted EBITDA for the second quarter of 2013 was $33.7 million compared with $26.7 million in the second quarter of 2012, an increase of 26.2%.
- Gross profit for the second quarter of 2013 was $82.6 million compared with $75.9 million in the second quarter of 2012. Gross margin expanded 260 basis points to 19.2% in the second quarter of 2013 compared with 16.6% in the second quarter of 2012.
- Revenues for the second quarter of 2013 were $430.8 million compared with $458.5 million for the second quarter of 2012, a decrease of 6.0%.
- Cash flows provided by operating activities for the second quarter of 2013 were $26.6 million compared with cash flows provided by operating activities of $31.9 million in the second quarter of 2012, a decrease of 16.6%.
- Key Comparisons of Six Months Ended June 30, 2013 and 2012:
- Net income for the six months ended June 30, 2013, was $20.7 million, or $0.69 diluted earnings per share, compared with $13.2 million, or $0.44 diluted earnings per share, for the same period in 2012. Adjusted diluted earnings per share were $0.90 in the first half of 2013 compared with $0.67 adjusted diluted earnings per share in the same period in 2012, an increase of 34.3%.
- Adjusted EBITDA for the first half of 2013 was $68.3 million compared with $53.5 million in the first half of 2012, an increase of 27.7%.
- Gross profit for the six months ended June 30, 2013, was $166.9 million, or 19.2% of revenue, compared with $148.5 million, or 15.5% of revenue, in the same period of 2012. Gross margin expanded 370 basis points to 19.2% in the first half of 2013 compared with 15.5% in the first half of 2012.
- Revenues for the six months ended June 30, 2013, were $870.6 million compared with $957.4 million for the same period of 2012, a decrease of 9.1%.
- Cash flows provided by operating activities were $74.3 million compared with $51.8 million in the same period of 2012, an increase of 43.4%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV